"This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links."
Just because you have dry skin doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy fabulous-looking skin. In order to find the best foundation for dry skin, you need to understand what will work and what won’t. You need to consider the moisture-level in the foundation and whether or not you need sheer, medium or full coverage.
As a tip, before applying foundation to dry skin, you need to cleanse tone and exfoliate the skin. This way, any dead, dry skin will be removed thus leaving you with a radiant glow. You will need to find the right moisturizer to use, apply concealer followed by powder to help the foundation last longer.
This guide will help you choose the most appropriate foundation for your dry skin.
Things to Consider
There are a number of things to consider when looking for foundation for dry skin. You need to pay attention to the type of dry skin you have and you need to pay attention to what a given foundation has to offer. At the end of the day, once you have applied foundation, you don’t want to be faced with whiteheads, flakiness, fine lines or ash-looking skin. Instead, you want a glowing, velvety skin!
- If you have dry, clear skin then you won’t have many issues to worry about. For this type of skin, go for full coverage foundation with plenty of moisturizer to help you do away with fine lines.
- If yours is dry, blemished skin then you should search for full coverage foundation with silicone in its moisturizing formula. Silicon will help you spread the foundation on your skin minus caking.
- If you have dry, mature skin then you go for liquid moistening foundations that offer medium coverage. Avoid stick foundations or cream to powder foundations as they tend to settle into lines. When searching for the most appropriate foundation for dry, mature skin, always strive to buy products that include words such as ‘plumping’, ‘age-defying’ or ‘ceramides’.
Top 10 Foundations for Dry Skin Comparison Chart
Ingredients You Should Look for and Those You Should Avoid
With dry skin, you should always go for foundation that will help moisturize and nourish your skin. As such, you should steer clear of oil-free foundations and instead go for foundations with an oil-base. This is because oil does help soothe and hydrate dry skin while leaving it with a beautiful dewy glow that is capable of lasting the entire day.
Ingredients you should lookout for when buying foundation for dry skin include lanolin, alpha-hydroxy acids, urea, hydrauronic cid and glycerin which are all water-binding ingredients that will help trap moisture in the skin. You should also consider foundation that comes with silicone as it helps foundation glide smoothly on the skin. Another ingredient that helps nourish dry skin is micro-algae.
If you have sensitive skin then you should avoid foundations with fragrances. You should go for mineral foundations which contain no synthetic preservatives or additives and are made from ground rocks such as mica. You should also avoid foundations that comprise of salicylic acid. Liquid or cream foundations are particularly great for dry skin as opposed to powder foundations as the powder may help amplify the dry patches on your skin.
Formulations to Consider When Buying Foundation
- Liquid Foundation. Comes in a bottle or tube and us very blendable. This type of foundation normally provides light to medium coverage.
- Cream Foundation. Which normally comes in a compact jar is normally thicker in consistency when compared to liquid foundation. This type of foundation provides medium to full coverage thus making them perfect for those with plenty of imperfections to cover.
- Tinted Moisturizer. Is great for those who wish to give off the look of not wearing makeup. This type comprises of only a hint of moisturizer and is great for those with dry skin that is relatively healthy with only a few blemishes to worry about.
- BB Cream. Is more or less like tinted moisturizes with the distinct advantage of providing added skincare benefits.
What Do the Different Coverage Mean?
- Sheer Coverage. Offers only the lightest touch of color.
- Light Coverage. Offers just enough coverage to help even out the skin tone.
- Medium Coverage. Provides a flawless base and will help cover minor blemishes.
- Full Coverage. Is great for those who have plenty of imperfections such as scars, pigmentation, or veins among others to cover as it will completely cover all blemishes.
What Do the Different Finishes Mean?
- Dewy Foundations. Are great for normal to dry skin as they help add radiance and shine to the complexion.
- Matte Foundations. Are great for oily skin as they help reduce shine on the skin.
- Semi-Matte Finish. Which is the most common and helps give off a natural appearance when applied.
- Foundation with Luminising Finish. Is perfect for dry, mature skin as it contains light-diffusing elements such as mica or crushed pearls. They help give off a luminous glow.
Top 5 Best Foundation for Dry Skin Reviews
The NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer is for the woman who doesn’t mind having less coverage but loves great foundation that hydrates her skin at the same time it helps give her a beautiful finish. This foundation provides a beautiful evenness to your skin while at the same time helping protecting from the sun. You get to enjoy a brighter natural glow with this oil-free and synthetic fragrance-free foundation.
This foundation has a wonderful creamy consistency that blends beautifully to the skin while not giving off a totally airbrushed look. It gives off a healthy natural glow minus leaving the skin looking oily. It does have good staying power and is very lightweight. It doesn’t leave the skin feeling heavy, especially once it settles.
With this foundation, you get to enjoy a natural shimmer that is not sparkly.
Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte is great for those looking for medium coverage in their foundation. This foundation is long lasting and gives off a wonderful dewy finish. It is great for dry and sensitive skin as it is packed with plenty of moisturizer and doesn’t come with fragrance.
You will get an even-toned skin without fine lines even after 6-12 hours after application. This foundation does help erase pores and beautifully matches the skin tone thus leaving you with a wonderful natural look.
It doesn’t build coverage or clog pores and is oil-free making it perfect for use on dry skin. If you have visible pores, a dull skin, oily skin, dry skin, rough patches or too much shine then you should definitely try this foundation. You get to enjoy a medium to light coverage that lasts long after application while giving off a matte finish.
Maybelline New York Dream Matte Mousse comes in a whipped mouse texture that feels great on the skin. This foundation is weightless when applied and gives off an air soft feel. Once applied, you get to enjoy beautiful radiant, flawless skin. It does last from day to night while letting you enjoy perfect coverage.
You should definitely try this foundation if you are looking for makeup that is not oily, not too thick and gives off a natural look when blended to the skin. You will not feel like you have applied any makeup as it feels really light while at the same time providing you great coverage to hide those blemishes on your skin!
It gives off a matte finish while not caking and is also perfect for sensitive skin.
Revlon Color Stay whipped crème makeup has a wonderful whipped, mousse-like texture that feels light on the skin when applied. This is a wonderful product to have as it provides two wonderful benefits. Not only does it help hide blemishes but when used overtime, it does help correct your skin. This means that you dry skin will soon become soft and silky!
This foundation will leave your skin looking beautifully flawless all day long. It has good coverage and is silky smooth on the skin. You won’t have to worry about a change in color over the course of the day when you use this foundation.
The L’Oreal Paris True Match Super blendable makeup is another wonderful foundation for dry skin. This product provides light to medium coverage, contains no fragrances or oils and is wonderful for all skin types as well. You won’t have to worry about clogged pores with this foundation as it doesn’t contain pore-clogging fillers.
It comprises of ingredients such as wheat germs, grape fruit extract as well as Vitamins A and C to help keep your skin protected, nourished and looking healthy. It is smooth while not giving off a heavy feel on the skin once applied.
You can enjoy a natural, ‘no-makeup’ look when you apply this product on the lighter side. This is an affordable foundation to own and it comes in 30 different shades which won’t leave many people out. It is long-lasting and doesn’t look cakey on the skin.
You should go for this product is you are looking or light-medium coverage as it won’t help you if you want very heavy coverage.