Getting your dream flawless skin can be hard if you’re not using the right foundation. There are foundations that make your skin look dry, rub off on clothing, or worse make you look “orange”. This can be given solution by choosing the right coverage that’s works best for you.
In makeup, coverage refers to a foundation’s ability to cover and conceal imperfections.
There are four types of foundation coverage: medium, light, sheer and full coverage.
This guide will help you choose the best full coverage foundation that will match your skin tone and make you look your best.
Tips Before Purchasing a Full-Coverage Foundation
- Pick a full-coverage foundation that contains up to 35 percent pigment.
- Match your skin color and tone before picking a shade for your foundation. Full-coverage foundation will give you a smooth layer above your skin so you have to blend it in your natural skin tone.
- Pick a foundation shade that will disappear onto your skin and won’t settle fine lies or highlight your pores. If it’s allowed make sure that you try the product before buying, if not you can ask a salesperson to help you choose one for your skin.
- Pick dewy foundations for normal and dry skin while matte foundations for those with oily skin.
- Don’t use full coverage if your skin is near to perfect. Simply use BB creams or tinted moisturizers.
Top 10 Full Coverage Foundations Chart
|1. Clinique Even Better Makeup SPF 15 Evens and Corrects 02 Fair||Matte Foundation and Concealer||$$$||4.6|
|2. L'Oreal Paris Visible Lift Serum Absolute Advanced Age-Reversing Makeup||Liquid Foundation||$||4.4|
|3. glominerals gloProtective Liquid Foundation Satin II Honey-Light||Liquid Foundation||$$||4.4|
|4. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation, Soft Beige||Matte Foundation||$||4.4|
|5. Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation, Ivory 805||Matte Foundation||$||4.3|
|6. L'Oreal Paris Cosmetics Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation Makeup, Classic Ivory||Matte Foundation||$||4.3|
|7. Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation||Liquid Foundation||$$$||4.3|
|8. LORAC POREfection Foundation||Matte Foundation||$$$||4.1|
|9. Maybelline New York Superstay Better Skin Foundation||Matte Foundation||$||4.0|
|10. Christian Dior Skin Airflash Spray Foundation 300, Medium Beige||Airflash Spray Foundation||$$$$||4.0|
How to Pick the Right Foundation Color for Your Skin
Choosing the right tone for your skin complexion can be tricky. There are lots of ranges of shades in every kind of foundation and finding the right one for your skin is critical for it to work and blend well.
First, you have to know your undertone and your skin’s shade. Skin complexion may vary but a person’s undertone is always constant. Here’s how to determine your undertone:
- People with rosy skin or those who have flushed pink colors while out in the sun have cool undertones. Their veins are mostly blue on skin and they look great in silver jewelry. They will look best with a foundation that has a redder or blue base.
- People with yellow, bronze, or olive complexions have warmer undertones. Their under veins will look mostly green and look great in gold jewelry. They will look best in foundations with gold or yellow base, and should consider shades in chestnut, caramel, beige, or gold.
- People who have a combination of complexions tend to have neutral undertones. They should consider shades in nude, praline, or ivory.
After determining your undertone, next would be to find out your skin type. There are six kinds of skin types:
- Normal Skin. People with normal skin tone has smooth looking skin that can react to changes in environment. (Oily in Summer and dry in Winter).
- Dry Skin. Feels and looks dry to touch. Can also turn flaky some days. Dry skin may occur naturally but are also caused by sensitivity to skin care products. For dry skin, it’s best to use light coverage hydrating foundations.
- Oily Skin. Starts the day looking fresh but eventually looks slick and shiny by noon. To lessen the shine, it’s best to use medium to full coverage foundation for oily skin.
- Sensitive Skin. People with sensitive skin get blotchy or red when in contact with makeup products. For acne-prone skins, its best to use dermatologically tested medium to full coverage foundations.
- Combination Skin. People with a combination skin type can have oiliness in the T-zone are and have normal or dry skin different parts of the face. Combination skin types will look great using medium to full coverage foundations.
- Aging Skin. Mature women can have fine lines and wrinkles on their face. To reduce their visibility, it’s wise to use light coverage liquid foundations or tinted moisturizers that makes for young and luminous looking skin.
Top 5 Best Full Coverage Foundation Reviews
Looking for the best foundation that is dermatologist tested, smooth on face, and helps undo damage on facial skin? Look no further. Clinique Even Better Makeup foundation is a Matte foundation that is best for ladies with oily skin type. It weighs 2.1 ounces, and is available in 30 different color shades that match every skin tone well.
This foundation is known for improving skin quality making it clearer and more radiant with every use. It’s also great for covering blemishes, freckles, and imperfections. With a soft matte finish, this foundation creates a natural look even in bright lights. The colors are awesome as they have almost everything for light and dark skin tones.
Clinique Ever Better Makeup is the best full coverage foundation that’s dermatologist-developed which means it uses naturally luminous materials that brightens and evens out skin-tone without the risk of irritating skin. You can use this foundation on a hot sunny day as it has SPF15 protection. This foundation uses broad spectrum SPF that protects against future darkening and works best with Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector and Clinique Makeup Remover.
L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift is the first ever anti-wrinkle foundation enriched with serum, giving you the best immediate result for smoother and better skin. It corrects pigments and unifies skin tone making your skin look radiant and oil-free.
With daily use, this foundation’s advanced age-reversing formula can make your skin look younger and fresher-looking. It has up to 24 hour hydration along with a light fluid texture that blends easily on any skin complexion though users complain that it doesn’t last up to 24 hours. It’s very lightweight as you don’t almost feel the cream on your face. Sometimes your pores may look emphasized especially if it wears out mid-afternoon and you don’t re-apply.
Its the best full coverage foundation that has a soft matte finish that can be used for light to medium coverage. It suits normal, sensitive, and mature skin type. Just a small drop from the pump and this foundation will cover and spread easily on your face. It won’t look cakey or oxidized like other brands of foundations. The best thing about L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift is its gentle formula that doesn’t provide any irritating ingredients.
Use Glo Mineral’s protective liquid foundation if you want healthy, radiant and pinkish glowing skin. It covers well and makes your other makeup like highlighters and lipsticks stand out without looking cakey. GloMinerals contains antioxidants, caviar extract, and a broad spectrum of UVB and UVA protection. So it doesn’t just make your skin look nice, it also protects and nourishes it.
Glo Mineral’s Protective Liquid Foundation has a very high coverage that makes it suitable for people with skin problems. The foundation has oil-free and matte finish formula, which is great for women with acne problem or those whose face gets really oily all the time. It can also hide various spots and marks and makes your skin look relatively natural.
This foundation has a thick texture and is more concentrated than other liquid foundations. It’s recommended to use a beauty blender for this foundation to be easily applied. Great with natural light, this foundation can cover any hyper-pigmentation and will give the right finish and coverage for your skin type.
Matte foundations are girl’s best friends when they want full coverage all day makeups. Rimmel Stay Matte foundation is a very thick foundation that has a great coverage of medium to full coverage. Rimmel does not have SPF, which means it doesn’t leave a white cast when used with flash photography.
People with bright red skin or those with huge pores can benefit from this full coverage foundation. And even with a small pea size amount, it can cover a good portion of your face. It provides one of the best base contours that provide long-lasting quality. Rimmel Stay Matte foundation is available in 11 shades and will minimize the appearance of pores, and gives you a smooth looking skin all day long.
Unlike other glow or sheer makeup, this foundation delivers a natural soft matte finish that helps control shine. The only thing that might put you off in this foundation is its heavy feel (when used as full coverage) which might seem like you’re wearing a mask on. Despite being one of the best full coverage foundation, Rimmel Stay Matte is a little cakey and may cling into drier areas, such as the nose.
Cover Girl’s Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation is a very lightweight foundation offering long-lasting wear that keeps your beauty look great even after long hours of using. This foundation is fused with the smooth finish of a primer, targeted coverage of a concealer, and the bendability of liquid foundations. It feels very light on skin and doesn’t look shiny or oily.
Available in 14 shades, this foundation can match any kind of skin complexion. It comes with a pump applicator, which makes it easy for women to apply on their face. The only thing that might turn you off in this foundation is its finish which might be a little cakey for some but it still offers a good full coverage which can even out your skin tone and make your skin look perfect.
Compared with other foundation, the consistency of this product is much lighter, and its coating isn’t too thick or suffocating upon application. It has a softer fragrance that smells “clean” and lets you feel fresh after application. The scent also subsides a few minutes after application.